When Linkin Park’s debut album, Hybrid Theory, came out in 2000, the band was at the forefront of the changing face of alternative music. That project was the best-selling album of the year, yielded one Grammy win, eventually went diamond, and forever stands as one of the defining albums of a new genre-bending direction for rock music at the turn of the decade.
A lot has changed since then.
- He said he hoped that everyone saw the iHeartRadio performance, he said anyone who didn’t check it out on Youtube. He said cutting down to 12 songs in 30 minutes was crazy
- Mike said he doesn’t love cats, he’s allergic to them, he had a reaction to a cat and he couldn’t breathe
- He said releasing more acapellas/instrumental albums of the past albums are a possibility
- He said they’re talking about releasing LIVING THINGS on vinyl, he said put it on your Christmas list
- Change of set list after South Africa tour
- He says he wants to hear more remixes of Victimized, In My Remains and I’ll Be Gone
- He can’t dance gangnam style.
- He said on campus he had a friend who’d play My Sharona really loud whenever Mike was around on big speakers
- About the LIVING THINGS album artwork: Mike didn’t know about there was 11 dots on TINFOIL and 13 on POWERLESS, he didn’t realize after he approved the art. He can’t imagine it was a mistake but haven’t asked them (design team) about it.
- Favourite anime: Ghost in the Shell, Akira, Princess Mononoke
- He was asking about scoring a Raid sequel, he said he’s looking for something different to score, but for now he’s working on Linkin Park stuff
- He talked about the Medal of Honor collaboration, he said it started with them agreeing to use Castle of Glass, then Mike scored 2 levels (available to purchase now) Ramin contributed to the pieces Mike did, then EA pitched an idea for a video, which they are working on now, he said he’s seen bits and it looks cool, there’s a story to the video and that’s interesting.
- He was asked about Reading My Eyes live he said to check out live recordings from when they’ve played it before. He said it’s unlikely they’ll play it anytime soon, because they got a set full of stuff that people want to see and there’s a smaller audience for Reading My Eyes versus the stuff they’re currently playing, if they cut those songs and add this song then people would be bummed.
- Mike said he did open some of their songs with the theme from Game of Thrones. He hasn’t read the Game of Thrones books, he hasn’t got time, but he would.
- Someone asked: “Should a man respect a woman?” and Mike laughed then answered: Why shouldn’t they?
- “Does Fort Minor still exist?” He answered “sure” and then said he’d probably do some more Fort Minor stuff someday.
- He said there’s a rumor that South Africa might get an LPU summit, they’ll be one if they can organise the events.
- He hasn’t seen Revolution but he thought the trailer was cool, it was an interesting song (ROADS UNTRAVELED) to put on the trailer, because it’s a show about a world that loses power.
- He was asked if he forgets the words onstage, he says he does and sometimes he flips the verses, sometimes he sings the first verse twice or something.
- He said “hi people of India, hello.”
- Shoutouts on Twitter, blog, and the chat: Mike isn’t trying to be a jerk to you, but he doesn’t want to waste the precious time together, so he shouted out to everyone who wants a shout out.
- He talked about the debate of sweet and salty popcorn from the LPU Summit in Camden NJ, then I couldn’t hear what he was saying, he said something about carmel, chocolate popcorn being a very American thing. It’s not even popcorn anymore it’s like candy bars.
- He said sorry to Florida about not being able to perform there for the Honda Civic Tour, they just couldn’t organize one
- He talked about writing, he’s in the studio right now (home studio) he said it’s not as if there’s the next album around the corner, it’s not really work he said they’re like ‘doodling’.
- The hardest thing about making Living Things was getting their heads together with what they want to do, Chester wanted songs with more energy, he said this allows them to work and make songs different from things they’ve done before like Lost In The Echo, Burn it Down, stuff like that.
- He asked fans what their favorite song from LIVING THINGS was, lots of spam occurred then.
- He talked about being the US election correspondent for The Big Issue magazine, he said it was an interesting magazine, part of their concept is to help homeless people in the UK a way to earn money, they buy the magazine for a certain amount and sell the magazine for a higher amount, which helps them earn a living. He says there’s two more articles to come (I believe).
- He said that the guys in MuteMath are really nice guys.
- He said that he dropped his phone and cracked the screen
- Then the chat froze, we were basically just waiting for it to unfreeze, later Mike tweeted:
- He tried to rejoin the chat (video) didn’t work and froze again so he just went with text chat “I’ll still be around for a couple of minutes” then “APPARENTLY I CAN BE CLONED. YAAAAAAYYYY.” “NOW MY CLONES AND I CAN SPLIT DUTIES ON SHOWS, STUDIO, AND ART. 3 TIMES MORE STUFF 4 FANS”
- After that he joined whiteboard and drew a few things for us.
Last night our boys burned out the stage like always on this years IHeart Rdio Festival! Check out how they had a great time! 🙂
Снощи нашите момчета взривиха сцената както винаги по време на тазгодишният IHeart фестивал! Скивайте как са си прекарали страхотно! 🙂
Congrats are in order for Linkin Park, whose fans just helped the group become the first rock band to surpass one billion YouTube views.